Foundations of Facilitation Teleclass ~ handout
Four Steps to Great Facilitation
With Marcia Baczynski and Betty Martin
1) Take care your own needs
- Check in with yourself prior to your event
- Make sure you’re rested, fed and hydrated prior to event
- Have someone there whose job is to support you
- Know your limits (eg, Don’t teach a workshop that requires emotional intensity if you don’t feel comfortable/capable of holding that.)
2) Create a strong, safe container
- People learn better when they feel safe
- Safety is created when things are predictable
- Strong opening
- Introduce yourself,
- Allow others to introduce themselves
- Say the name of the workshop
- Review guidelines
- Give a sketch of what will be happening.
- Strong closing
- Allow opportunity to verbally integrate what happened
- Point out ways material is usable in everyday life
- Give opportunity for appreciation/gratitude.
- Do what you said you’re going to do
3) Know your material
- Have an outline
- Do test runs of material prior to presenting
- Set expectations with your participants if it is new material (eg, “I’ve not taught this material in this format before, so I welcome your feedback.)
- Teach something you have experience in, not just someone else’s theory.
4) Balance freedom and structure
- Depending on the event, the ratio of these shifts.
- Allow for dialog, exercises, exploration as well as explanation and theory.
- The less structure you have, the stronger the sense of safety needs to be.
- If there is lots of structure, like taking participants step-by-step through something, the less “up-front” safety there needs to be.
- Be attentive to dealing with the unexpected (an art form unto itself!)
Foundations of Facilitation ~ Upcoming Dates:
- Jun 17-19, 2011 – New York NY
Early Registration ends: May 17, 2011
- July 15-17, 2011 – Joshua Tree CA
Early Registration ends: June 15, 2011
- Virtual Training Option – Ongoing Enrollment (for qualified candidates)
Two Ways to Register for Foundations of Facilitation!
1) Go to www.foundationsoffacilitation.org to sign up immediately!
2) Or call 334-202-2794 and we’ll be happy to sign you up over the phone.
“Of all the workshops I’ve attended, the [Foundations of Facilitation] Training has given me the most practical and useful tools to create and maintain direct, open and honest communication with EVERYONE in my life DAILY.” —Tracy , Alabama
“I took my first facilitator training 30 years ago, and it’s been a long, long time since I learned so much in one weekend.” — Ankha, Minnesota